Monday, September 21, 2009

Grace Amongst Religious Infidelity

I'm afraid that with my rant about the polygamy in the Old Testament I came off as sounding like a jerk...the beauty of Christianity isn't in a legalistic set of rules regarding sexuality...but that despite people making horrible and uncaring mistakes there is a God whose love goes beyond our ability to be good.

The idea behind grace, behind the ministry of Jesus, the reason why God came in human form and lived among us, he lived, died and rose again was because we are unable to save ourselves. From the beginning in Genesis to the prophecies concerning the end times God has been adamant that 'the wages of sin is death' but that ultimately 'the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.' (Romans 6:23)

I mean...in my understanding life is more than a black and white dichotomy. The whole idea of Heaven and Hell is not this work based...good vs. evil scale in your life...the idea is that no human is 'good' that we're all broken and hurt each other and deserve what we get.

But the mind blowing aspect of it is that God doesn't just ditch His creation that chose to rebel, instead He pursues us with a fervent love. The idea isn't that we do a lot of good so we get super shiny metaphorical mansions in the clouds but that we have an actual personal relationship with God.

That personal aspect seems lost amongst the rush for programs and rules...that is what drew me in when I was nine, made me feel compelled to ministry at fourteen and what has pulled me back and made me feel love after all these years of brokenness and confusion. It's love being a guide...being a comfort, pulling me, holding me and guiding me...words cannot give justice to love and that's what I feel...this burning, passion filled desire to know and be known.

And to me that's the love that Jesus has for everyone...and the fact He used such an incredibly dysfunctional family to be the basis for his chosen nation Israel...that would eventually give birth to the Messiah.

God loves and attracts and is attracted to the broken...those with no hope and realize they need help.

(And...House is about to come on so I will finish this later...)

No comments: